Thursday, January 4, 2024

Quality over Quantity


Accidentally read an article today that is one of the things that bothers me most about my alternative platform.


The story is like just about every other bit of click-bait out there, different only that it is singing the praises of another writer on Medium that offers nothing more than clickbait.

Initially, I replied, 
I am truly curious to know by what standard you are making this evaluation. What are your measures? Followers? The ridiculous "claps" count? Time Read? Engagement? Your essay fails to support your thesis. Indeed, I could find very little to support your thesis. 66K followers do not make one popular. 1000+ click-bait listicle articles do not make one popular. What is it exactly that you are using to measure this popularity? 

Indeed, I was truly curious.  I could find nothing indicating that Eve Arnold – Medium was anything more than a hack, churning out click-bait on a daily basis, regurgitating many of the same topics over and over again.  Her profile undoubtedly exemplifies that.

The writer later replied, 

I find her work and story interesting enough. I find her dedication to the craft impressive. I’ve laid out my reasons if you pay attention. I don’t know a lot of authors who’ve written 1000 plus pieces. To me this is dedication, hard work and intelligence.  She doesn’t have to be a part of any list.

I started to reply to that, but then remembered I was breaking my own rule about responding anything on the internet.  It is a lost cause after all, and mostly unproductive.  The internet is full of pointless nonsense and calling it out is equally pointless nonsense.  It will eventually wither away and die.  You just have to wait a little while.

I am no better a writer than those and do admire their efforts to write daily.  I try to do that myself, here, where very few can see the pointless nonsense and generally bad writing.  I am definitely not trying to sell it as worthy of the next Nobel Prize.

Folks should think more about this sort of thing before they offer their unnecessarily redundant opinion about the 3 Best Ways to Get Ahead of The Game.  It makes the internet bloated and unhealthy.  Not everyone is an expert.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Leave your thoughts here. You gotta have a Google account though.

Popular Variations